Tuesday, November 10, 2009

US Marines & Veterans Day


Tuesday after the Twenty-third Sunday after Pentecost
November 10, 2009

The Lord be with you

My father was a career officer in the US Marines. He served in World War II and retired in San Diego, CA. Today is the “birthday” of the US Marines, which were originally formed on November 10, 1775. Tomorrow is Veterans Day and so I want to mention the other military connections in my family. My mother was a Navy nurse during WWII and served many years in VA hospitals, first in California and then in Florida. My oldest brother was in the Army and spent most of his time in Korea. I served in the Army also, spending most of my time at Ft. Bragg, NC. My son Isaiah is in the Army Reserves and has served in Iraq. My son’s wife, Athena, is also in the Army Reserves and has served in Iraq and currently is in Afghanistan. Finally, as far as my family goes, my wife Kitty actually served a month or so in the Army but she realized the military was not for her. She received an honorable discharge. Lamb of God Lutheran (LCMS) also has two sons in the Army, David and Lucas Schuette. David is in demolition removals (he goes out and clears the roads, etc.). Lucas is a medic. They are in transit to Afghanistan.

I’m sure everyone wishes that none of our troops ever were sent into harms way, but that is not the world we live in. We can support our troops in many ways but one of the most powerful is to keep them in our prayers. We ask God, not only for their safety, but also that peace may come to the lands where they serve.

We may be able to understand why this war or that war began, but it is often difficult to understand the Divine perspective. What is God doing? We may not see how, but what God is doing is seeking to bring the Gospel of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus to all who are lost in the darkness of sin. So we also pray for the expansion of God’s kingdom.

Happy birthday Marines, and to all our veterans – have a blessed Veterans Day.

Blessings in Christ,
Pastor John Rickert

No comments:

Post a Comment