Thursday, October 10, 2013

"By His Blood"

Daily Devos


Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries
By Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM). 



"By His Blood"

October 10, 2013
cross, jet stream... And he said to me, "These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Revelation 7:14b
PLEASE NOTE: Today's devotion is filled with powerful images. Adults, please read it over before you share it with anyone who is young. Thank you. Pastor Ken Klaus.

Al-Shabaab is the local al-Qaeda group of militants who attacked the Nairobi mall with grenades and assault rifles.

Although they were intent on accomplishing generalized murder, it appears the terrorists tried to zero in on foreigners and Christians. They did their job well. The dozen-plus members of al-Shabaab managed to slaughter more than 60 unprepared civilians.

This devotion deals with two people who were caught up in that attack. One of those victims is a young lady, a radio personality by the name of Sneha Kothari Mashru. The other is a teenage boy who has not been identified.

Both of these individuals dropped to the floor when the attacks began. Mashru dropped because of the gunfire; the boy fell because he had been fatally shot. In a few moments the lad, surrounded by an ever-widening pool of blood, stopped breathing. That was when Mashru reached into the boy's pocket and took his cell phone. She turned it off so an unexpected ring wouldn't draw the attention of the attackers to her location.

Ms. Mashru couldn't help but notice the phone was covered in blood -- blood which was now on her hands. Normally, she would have cringed at the sight. That day she did something which normally would have been unthinkable. She said, "I took a lot of his blood, (as) much (as) I could and I tried to put it on myself."

Looking back on that day, she added, "I would still love to know who he is and everything, because his blood probably protected me from getting probably more injured or attacked ... or dead."

When I read that story, like you, I couldn't help but think that is what has happened to me. That's what John meant when he wrote in the book of Revelation the blood of Jesus has cleansed me from all sin and my once sinful soul is now made white as snow.

Yes, I know there are differences. That teenaged boy didn't willingly die for someone as did our Savior and when we are cleansed by Jesus' blood it is by the power of the Holy Spirit and not our own doing.

Having said that, it is still a vivid picture of how God's innocent Son shed His blood so we might be protected from the slaughter, being brought about by sin, Satan and death.

Like Ms. Mashru, I also wish I knew the teen's name so I could share it with you, but I am incredibly thankful I have been brought to faith in and know the Name of my Savior who has saved me by His blood.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, far too often I fail to ponder what Jesus had to do so I might be saved. For that I ask Your forgiveness. Now may I give thanks for His sacrifice and the salvation His blood has won for me. In the Name of Jesus I ask it. Amen.
Pastor KlausIn Christ I remain His servant and yours,


Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour®
Lutheran Hour Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment