Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas, Vacation, The Constantine Codex


First Sunday after Christmas
December 30, 2012

The Lord be with you

Hello all. I apologize for there being such a lag in posts. Christmas is a very busy time for any pastor, and I’m no exception. These posts simply do not rank as high on my priority list as developing sermons, worship services, and newsletters. Nonetheless, I pray everyone had a joyous nativity celebration.

I and my wife are on vacation now. The first few days were full, so again I didn’t get around to posting anything. I did have a chance to read the next LitWits book, The Constantine Codex by Paul L. Maier (more on that later).

This morning we were blessed to worship at Island Lutheran Church here on Hilton Head Island, SC. Their pastor, Rev. Larry Eckart, is also on vacation. The word of God was shared by Pastor Len Moore and Mr. Terry Nickerson led the liturgy. If I was to boil down the sermon to a sentence, it would be that, while the rest of the world is over with Christmas for the year, for Christians the celebration of the birth of our Savior continues on and on.

As I mentioned, I just finished The Constantine Codex. This is the third book featuring Dr. Jon Webber, who first appeared in Maier’s book, A Skeleton in God’s Closet. Each book in the series is a stand-alone novel. Like the first two books, this book continues the fast pace action of an interaction between international religious issues, startling discoveries, intrigue, risk, and mortal danger, while avoiding the Indiana Jones antics which look good on a big screen but are more eye candy than story telling. Maier’s first book asked what would happen if the mortal remains of Jesus were actually found. His second book (More than a Skeleton) asked what would happen if someone living claimed to be the returned Jesus and was very, very convincing. This third book asks what would happen if an ancient manuscript was found that might have been written by one of the recognized New Testament authors. (Naturally, the document seems very, very convincing.) I won’t tell you how the book ends, but ask yourself, “What would it take for a new book to be added to the Bible?”

Blessings in Christ,
Pastor John Rickert

No comments:

Post a Comment